Wednesday 23 January 2013

Easy-Peasy Fruit Salad





My weekly meeting of the OKS (Occasional Knitters Society) starts in an hour and I've made some fruit Salad. I don't normally prepare snacks for our meetings, and I made fruit salad last week - so the ladies will likely assume I'm either pregnant or just bizarre. 

Fruit salad seems like an odd thing to make a recipe for, since its just a bowl of fruit with juice poured over it, but there is a certain sub-group of the population that requires recipes for such things, and I have often been asked for mine.

Ingredients
  • Whatever you want. HA! It's true.
But here is what I use
  • Apple cider, or any juice you like.
  • My Gramma Peg (G-Peg) adds a splash of vodka for an added bite. I like any excuse to add a splash of something interesting, but if you use apple cider, it already has a bit of a bite. I bet a dab of Grand Mariner would be great.
  • Apples
  • Mango
  • Berries - fresh or frozen. I always stock pile on blueberries from the farmers market when they are in season and freeze them, and then pick up fresh strawberries and black berries from the store.
  • Kiwi
  • Manderin slices or chopped up orange slices
  • Grapes cut in half
  • Chopped greatfruit
  • As stated in the Surival Cake post, I love candied cherries, but a lot of people don't, so I only add them if my niece Ella is going to be present. People can eat around them or just throw them into Ella's bowl.
Assemble in whatever order you want, making whatever deletions or additions you want. If I find it a bit too sour, I add a tablespoon of maple syrup. My only bit of advice is to make sure you pour the cider over it as soon as the apples are sliced, to prevent them from browning. If completely covered in cider, it will keep quite well for a few days.

I eat the leftovers for every meal until its gone!



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you do not have a Google account, you can comment by selecting "name/url" and enter whatever screen name you choose. You do not need to include a url. You can also select "anonymous".